About National Service Scheme:
The National Service Scheme(NSS) is a central sector scheme of government of India, Ministry of Youth affairs and sports. It provides opportunities to the student youth of 11th& 12thclass of school at +2 board level and student’s youth of technical institutions, graduate and post graduate level students and university level of India to take part in various government led community service activities and programmes. The soul aim of NSS is to provide hands on experience to young students in delivering community service. NSS launched in the Mahatma Gandhi’s birth centenary 1969, as a student youth service programmes. National Service Scheme (NSS) aims at arousing social consciousness of the youth and overall objectives of personalities development of students through community service. The North Bank College NSS unit is one of the active units working under Dibrugarh university NSS cell. The present volounteer strength of the unit is 111.
Name of the programme officer is Dr. Laba Ram Sonowal, Associate Professor and Vice- Principal of North Bank College, Department of Sociology.
Objectives of NSS are -
- Understand the community in which they worked.
- Understand themselves relation to their community.
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem solving.
- Develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibilities.
- Develop competence required for group living and sharing of responsibilities.
- Utilize their knowledge in finding practical solutions to individuals and community problems.
- Gain skills in mobilizing community participation.
- Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitudues.
- Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters.
- Practice national integration and social harmony.
Motto of NSS:
The motto of NSS is - Not Me But You, reflect the essence of democratic living in the upholds the need for self-less service. NSS helps the students development and appreciation to other persons point of view and also show consideration towards other living beings. The philosophy of NSS is a good doctrine in the motto, which underlines in the belief that the welfare of an individual is ultimately dependent on the welfare of the society as a whole and therefore,NSS volounteers strive for the well-being of the society.
Activities undertaken by NSS Unit
From the year 1997-1998:
- During the period of 1997-1998, 15 numbers of volounteers including 10 girls volounteers engaged in special camp at KhongiatingChapori village to make a bamboo bridge on Kumutia bridge on Kamalaghat river. The length of the bridge is 152 feets and 5 feet breadth. It takes four days of time to build the entire bridge.
- In this period, volounteer were engaged in making Baghdevi ME School and the playground at KhongiatingChapori village. In this way, the unit successfully completed the special camp.
- In this period, the volounteers engaged cleanliness drive in the college boundary and surrounding of the college.
From 2000 to 2011:
- In this period, there was no fund to carry forward the activities of NSS unit. Though, college authority helped NSS to carry on the activities in the college campus and outside the college. In every year, NSS volounteers were engaged in cleanliness drive and special occasions like Republic day, Independence day, Gandhi Jayati (Swacch Bharat Diwas) etc. apart from that NSS unit is also active in conducting awareness camps in various villages for development of their social consciousness on various issues like women empowerment, social evils, flood relief camps etc.
From the year 2013 to 2014:
- In this period NSS held a special camp at BolahiTamuli L.P. School.
- 60 nos of volounteers engaged in making a subway of length 50 meters on Bolahi river and also engage the volounteers to make a bamboo bridge of another sites of the Bolahi river.
- In this special camp period, the volounteers engaged in repaering the Basudev High School. The volounteers performed two dramas in the school campus and also on the last day of the camp, they arranged a public meeting on the topis- How to live healthy and wealthy life.
From the year 2015-2016:
- ? From 24th to 27th November,2015, the volounteers of NSS Unit held a special camp on Khongiachapori ME School to make a bamboo bridge on Kumutia river.This bridge helped the seven villagers to communicate Ghilamara, Lakhimpur, Gogamukh, Dhakuakhana and Dhemaji.
- ? Both the general people and students helped to make the bridge. The volounteers were also engaged in cleanliness drive to keep the school campus clean.
- ? In this year, the volounteers were engaged in cleaning the surrounding the college campus. They also performed the national festival (Repulicday, Independence day, Sarawati Puja etc.).
From the year 2016-2017:
- ? In this period, the volounteers of NSS unit engaged in several activities like cleanliness drive in the college campus, making a cycle stand, observed World Environment Day of 5th June.
- ? On these occasions, all volounteers and students actively took part in planting trees and collect plastic wastes from the college campus to make a Carbon Neutral campus.
- ? In this period, the volounteers and college students engaged in Swacchh Bharat Abhiyan on 2nd October.
- ? The volounteers were also took part in repearing the internal road of the college campus. On this occasion, the volounteers arranged a rally in collaboration with IQAC around the locality of Ghilamara.
From 2017 to 2018:
- In this period, the volounteers cleaned the Ma Manipuri Ai-Than as a part of the general activity.
- The volounteers held a special camp at Hatorkhula village. They constructed a bamboo bridge on flood affected areas. It took two day to complete the bridge.
- The volounteers planned the valuable trees like Arjun, Hilikha etc. They also repaired a Namghar on that area.
- On 25th May, 2018, NSS volounteers observed Swacchh Bharat Abhiyan.
- On 5th June, 2018, they observed World Environment Day. In this occasion, the volounteers planted valuable trees in the coellge campus and they arranged awareness programme on Biodiversity and local environment.
- On 21st June, 2018, the NSS unit observed International Yoga Day participated by principal, professors, students and localities and all volounteers and NSS and NCC.
- On 10th July, 2018, the volounteers engaged in flood relief at Bordoibam Tea Garden area and Tangagorah village. They had supply buds of dettole, Masor dals, Rice, Mustard oil, Salt, Biscuite, candle, blissing powder, drinking water bottle etc. to help the affected families.
- On 2nd October, 2018, Swacchh Bharat Abhiyan (Gandhi Jayanti), the volounteers were engaged in claeanliness drive in the college premises and both side of the PWD road uptoGhilamaraTiniali. They cleaned up the classrooms, halls and surrounding of the college campus. They declared polythene free zone.
- In these year from 2017 -2018, total number of volounteers was 100.
From the year 2018-2019:
- On 2nd October, 2018, Swacchh Bharat Diwas was observed by NSS unit. In this occasion, the volounteers continuously cleaned the college campus for three consecutive days in a project mode.
- On 29th and 21st January, 2019, the volounteers engaged in cleanliness drive in the college campus and the both sides of the PWD road.
- On 4th April, 2019, cleanliness drive of the college campus took place.
- From 5th to 7th June, 2019, a special camp at Chetiagaon was held with the assistance of NSS unit. In this period, they plant Nem tree and they prepare the boundary of the Chetia Gaon LP school and engaged in repairing the katcha road. In the last day of the camp, they arranged a public meeting and they performed the cultural activities with the villagers and children.
- On 21st June, 2019, NSS unit celebrated International Yoga Day.
- From 11th to 13thAugust, 2019, unit performed cleanliness drive in the college campus.
- On 2nd October, 2019, Swacch Bharat Abhiyan.
- 5th June, celebration of World Environment Day.
From 2020 to 2021:
- On 5th June, 2020, World Environment Day was observed by the NSS volouteers.
- On 21st June, 2020, they celebratedInternational Yoga Day.
- On 15th august, 2020, Independence Day was observed by the unit.
- From 2nd October to 20th October, 2021, NSS unit observed Swacch Bharat Abhiyan for 18 days continuously.
From 2021 to 2022 (present)-
- In this period, the volounteers cleaned the college campus from 20th January to 22nd January, 2022.
- On 2nd February and 3rd February 2022, volounteers arranged a two days workshop on Role of Women on Education, Health and Socio-Economic development. In this Occasion, Dr. Gitanjali Baruah Dutta, Mr. HorenSaikia delivered a special lecture.The workshop was inaugurated by Dr. Jugal Saikia, principal, North Bank College, Ghilamara. Ms. DoliGohain, Ms. Manjula Dutta, Mr. Deva Changmai, Dr. NitulSaikia and villagers were present in the workshop. Dr. Laba Ram Sonowal, programme officer of NSS unit has concluded the workshop by giving thanks to all participants on the workshop.